It is almost Easter time! The Fabric Easter Bunnies are a fun little project for some Easter sewing. They make a perfect gift, or just a decoration around your home.
Shopping List (Makes one Bunny)
- Fabric for Bunny (approx. one fat quarter)
- Fabric for bow (approx. 2cm x 15cm)
- 1 A4 sheet stiffened felt
- 2x Small buttons in contrasting colour
- A handful of rice
- Embroidery floss in contrasting colour
- Bunny Template cut out
- Using the templates cut out from your fabric 1 circle and 4 of the large oval ear pieces.
- Cut out from the stiffened felt 2 of the small oval ear pieces. Also cut out a circle from the felt approx. the size of a 20 cent coin.
- Place the circle on the wrong side of the fabric, about 1-2cm from the edge. This will help stabilize the face.
- Sew on the buttons to form eyes ensuring you catch the stiffened felt on the reverse side.
- Sew on a mouth using embroidery floss. You can use a fabric marker here to draw the shape of the mouth as a guide.
- Thread a needle and sew a gathering stitch all the way around the edge of the circle. Pull up the thread a little bit.
- Add the handful of rice, and then on top of that fill the circle with the polyfill, adding as much as you like. Pull up the threads to keep the circle almost closed.
- Place the ears right sides together, with an oval piece of felt on top, lining up with the larger end of the oval ear shape.
- Sew a ¼” (6mm) seam around the ear sewing the felt in place, leave an opening to turn the ear the right way out.
- Clip the seam allowance close to the stitching and then turn the right way out.
- Place the ears in the opening of the circle, and hand sew the opening closed, whilst also sewing the ears in place. Make sure the ears line up with the face.
- Cut a strip of contrasting fabric approx. approx. 2cm x 15cm. Wrap it around the bottom of the ears to cover the opening seam. Finish it off with a bow.