Original pattern created by Gail Dodson for Singer. The perfect pet bandana for all creatures great and small. All you need is their collar, for the bandana to go over to attach it to them, so it won’t fall off.
- Fat quarter (up to 46cm depending on size of banner required)
- Sewing machine
- 1/4″ Presser Foot
- Co-ordinating thread
- Fabric marking pen
- Scissors or rotary cutter and Cutting mat
- Pet’s collar
- Measure your pet’s collar.
- Using your measurement, create the pattern for the bandana. The rectangle that will from the collar casing need to be approximately 10cm shorter than the length of the total collar and at least 2cm larger than the widest piece of hardware on the collar.
- Cut x 2 of the above pattern out of your chosen fabric. If you are using directional fabric, ensure the pattern is the way you want it to be facing.
Note:All seam allowances will be 1/4” (6mm) unless otherwise stated.
- On the right side of the fabric, using a removable fabric marker, draw a straight line where the height of the collar + 2cm is made on. Refer to pattern
- Using one fabric piece, fold the raw straight edges of the collar height in 1/4”. Press. Repeat for the second side.
- Fold in ¼” again, encasing the raw edge. Press. Pin and stitch as close as possible to the folded edge. Repeat for the second side.
- Repeat steps 1 & 2 to the second pattern piece. This will become the opening for the collar to become encased.
- With right sides together, pin both side of the triangle and the outer collar edge. Refer to the diagram below.
- Stitch each of the three sides, leaving the finished seams for the collar open.
- Clip the point of the triangle.
- Turn right side out through one of the collar openings.
- Stitch along the previously marked line from one opening to the other side. This will create the collar casing to thread the collar through. Original pattern created by Gail Dodson for Singer. The perfect pet bandana for all creatures great and small.
- Pull your pet’s collar through the opening.
- Place your collar back on your pet. You can let the bandana hang on their neck or their back.