Keep your personal items close by with the You’re My Super Hero Clutch. This pattern can be made within a couple hours and it is a fun little project to sew up with your favourite super hero fabric.
This project was sewn using a Heavy duty sewing machine.
- 1 x 12” (30.5cm) x 20” (51cm) Outer fabric (super hero fabric poplin)
- 1 x 12” (30.5cm) x 20” (51cm) Lining fabric (plain red poplin)
- 1 x 12” (30.5cm) x 20” (51cm) Wadding
- 1 x Button
- Co-ordinating threads
- Water soluble marker
- Create a sandwich with the super hero fabric and the red fabric right sides together. Place the wadding underneath and make sure all of the edges are aligned.
- Take a look at the direction in which the pattern is going on the fabric and decide which side should become the triangle flap.
- Fold in the corners so they meet evenly in the middle. Press.
- Unfold the corners and very carefully using scissors cut along the creases you have ironed in.
- Using a 1/2cm seam allowances sew around the edges leaving approx. 5cm opening on the bottom.
- Trim the corners and cut notches around the points in the triangle.
- Turn the bag the right way out. Use a ruler or a pencil to push the corners out.
- Pin the opening shut, and slip stich the hole up.
- Looking at the tip of the triangle decide where you would like the button to go and using a water soluble marker mark the top and the bottom of your chosen button.
- Follow the instructions in your sewing machine manual to set-up the buttonhole foot for your machine.
- Cut open the button hole.
- Fold it up, so it resembles the finished bag. Once you are happy with how it lines up, mark the fabric through the button hole. This will be where you sew the button on.
- Attach the button sewing foot to your machine and select a zig-zag stich. Once you have made sure the needle goes through the holes in the button, sew the button securely in place.
- With a wide zig-zag stitch, sew up each side of the bag. Ensure with each stitch the right swing of the zig-zag just goes off the edge of the fabric.
- Fold the flap down and do the button up.