This coffee cosy is a great gift for mum or dad. You can choose fabric that suits their interests to personalise.
Skill Level:Confident Beginner
Skills Learned: Straight Stitch, creating your own pattern, Using the button sewing foot, Trimming seam allowances
- Tall Take Away Coffee Cup (empty)
- 5mm Elastic approx. 10cm long
- Scrap fabric 2 colours. Amount determined by your template.
- White Button
- 1 Piece of wadding same amount as fabric
- co-ordinating thread
Making your template
- Hopefully you have enjoyed a hot beverage in the tall Take Away Coffee cup. Once it is empty remove the cardboard coffee cosy.
- Cut the label to the width you would like the coffee cosy to be. We made ours 5cm + 1cm for seam allowance. You now have your template.
- Use this template to cut out 2 x fabric pieces (one of each colour) and one piece of wadding.
- Place your two chosen fabrics right sides together. Place on top of the piece of wadding so that all pieces line up. Pin.
- Fold the elastic in half with the ends of the elastic overlapping the fabric by about 1.5cm. Pin onto one end of the coffee cosy.
- Sew a straight stitch around the shape, with a 1cm seam allowance. Leave an opening to turn the coffee cosy right way out. Then double back on the elastic to make sure it is secure.
- Trim all of the corners.
- Turn it the right way out by pushing the inside through the spot that wasn’t sewed.
- Slip-stitch the opening shut.
- Fold the coffee cosy around empty take away cup and mark with a pin where the elastic loop goes to on the other side.
- Install the button sewing foot on your machine.
- Place the button under the presser foot where you placed the pin.
- Switch your sewing machine to Zig-zag stitch. Use the hand wheel to make sure the needle will go through each hole in the button. If it does not adjust the stitch width until it does.
- Sew the button in place.
- Your coffee cosy is now complete!