- 1 piece of (Outer) Fabric
- 1 piece of (Inner) Fabric
- 1 Strip of Fabric 10cm x 2m
- Coordinating threads
Setting up your machine
See the Sew as you Grow playlist on our Youtube page for step by step instructions.
- Wind the bobbin.
- Thread the machine.
- Insert the bobbin.
- Bring the bobbin thread to the top.
- Place and pin the inner and outer pieces of fabric together with the right sides pattern sides together.
- Sew a straight stitch and then a zig zag stitch to overlock the edges, leaving a 10cm gap to pull the material through to the right sides.
- Pull the fabric through and fold the open edge in to match the seam and then top stitch the open edge closed. You can choose to top stitch the entire edge so it looks nice and neat too.
- With the 2m strip of fabric, fold and then (with an adult’s help) iron it in half lengthways right sides together.
- Sew a straight stitch down the length of the 2m, leaving the ends open.
- Fold the top edge of the strip over on itself (like turning your socks inside out) and continue to use your fingers to pull the whole 2m through until it is the right way out.
- Starting from the middle of the sewn outer piece, measure an equal distance from the outside edge and create a loop around and pin in place, leaving space at either end for the bag handles.
- Make sure the fabric for the handles doesn’t flip over around the corner!
- Once you reach the end of the loop, overlap by 5cm or so and then cut the excess of the strip off. Fold in the top edge of the strip and top stitch it closed.
- Top stitch around the entire strip to secure the handle in place, removing the pins as you go.
- Fold the bag in half, with right sides facing (so you see the inside of the bag). Pin and then sew the two bag sides together.
- Enjoy your new tote bag!